Tory leadership: Matt Hancock quits contest

United Kingdom (HRNW): Matt Hancock has quit the contest to become Conservative leader – and prime minister – a day after coming sixth in the first ballot of the party’s MPs. The health secretary did not endorse any of his former rivals, but told the BBC he was “talking” to them all. Mr Hancock, who had been the youngest contender, said he was “focused on the future” but the party needed a leader to succeed in “the here and now”. Boris Johnson won Thursday’s Tory MPs’ ballot, taking 114 votes. His nearest rival, Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt, got 43 votes. The final two contenders remaining after further MPs’ ballots next week will go to a party-wide vote. Three candidates – Mark Harper, Andrea Leadsom and Esther McVey – were knocked out in the first round, in which Mr Hancock, aged 40, received 20 votes. His decision to withdraw from the race means six candidates remain. Mr Hancock told media deputy political editor John Pienaar: “I’ve been incredibly encouraged and humbled by the amount of support that I’ve had in this campaign.

“I’ve tried to make the argument about the values that the Conservative Party needs to hold dear, of free enterprise and support for a free society and being open and optimistic and enthusiastic about the future.” He added: “But the party clearly is looking for a candidate to deal with the here and now. I very much put myself forward as the candidate focused on the future. “And so I’ve decided to withdraw from the race and instead see how best I can advance those values within the party and the big and difficult tasks we’ve got ahead.” Mr Hancock said the remaining candidates all had “admirable qualities” and that all should take part in televised debates: “The nature of this contest isn’t just to be the leader of the Conservative Party. It’s to be the next prime minister, and so that scrutiny is important.” He added: “We stand at a defining moment in our country’s history and we need to deliver Brexit and then we need to cast forward and bring the country together. That’s the goal.” Further ballots are scheduled to take place next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to whittle down the contenders until only two are left. The process could be speeded up if anyone else drops out.

The final pair will be put to a vote of the 160,000 members of the Conservative Party from 22 June, with the winner expected to be announced about four weeks later. On Thursday, Mr Johnson, the former foreign secretary and London mayor, said he was “delighted” to win the first ballot but warned his campaign still had “a long way to go”. All of Mr Johnson’s remaining rivals have signed a joint letter committing to taking part in televised leadership debates on Channel 4 and the BBC on Sunday and Tuesday, in an effort to put pressure on Mr Johnson, who has not agreed to do so.

Speaking to media, Mr Hunt said the frontrunner should be “a little bit braver” and participate in the debates. “What would Churchill say if someone who wanted to be prime minister was hiding away from the media?” he asked. International Development Secretary Rory Stewart, who received 19 votes in the first leadership ballot, told the Today programme: “It’s really important for the legitimacy of the prime minister that this [leadership race] doesn’t take place in a smoke-filled room but that the public is able to see the candidates.” Sources close to Mr Johnson say they are still in discussions with broadcasters. One of his allies, MP Priti Patel, told Today there would be “plenty of opportunities for questioning”. “The focus now is on the parliamentary process,” she added.

Be the first to comment on "Tory leadership: Matt Hancock quits contest"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*