NKorea slams US over submarine deal, warns countermeasures

SEOUL (HRNW) – North Korea has criticized a U.S. decision to provide nuclear-powered submarines to Australia and threatened unspecified countermeasures if it finds the deal affects its security.

State media on Monday published comments from an unidentified North Korean Foreign Ministry official who called the arrangement between U.S., Britain and Australia an “extremely” dangerous move that would destroy the security balance in the Asia-Pacific. The official said it would set off a nuclear arms race.

The official said the North was closely examining the deal and would proceed accordingly if it has “even a little adverse impact on the security of our country.”

President Joe Biden announced last week a new alliance including Australia and Britain that would deliver an Australian fleet of at least eight nuclear-powered submarines. Biden has stressed the vessels would be conventionally armed.

Be the first to comment on "NKorea slams US over submarine deal, warns countermeasures"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*