Riyadh, Saudi Arabia : (HNRN) A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced five people to death and jailed three others over the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi last year. Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the Saudi government, was killed inside the kingdom’s consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul by a team of Saudi agents. According to BBC News Saudi authorities said it was the result of a “rogue operation” and put 11 unnamed individuals on trial. The prince denied any involvement, but in October he said he took “full responsibility as a leader in Saudi Arabia, especially since it was committed by individuals working for the Saudi government”. Following Monday’s announcement Ms Callamard wrote on Twitter: “And the travesty of investigation, prosecution and justice continues.”The 59-year-old journalist, a US-based columnist for the Washington Post, was last seen entering the Saudi consulate on 2 October 2018 to obtain papers he needed to marry his fiancée Hatice Cengiz.
Be the first to comment on "Jamal Khashoggi: Saudis sentence five to death for journalist’s murder"