Cologne, Germany (dpa) – Former boxing world champion Felix Sturm was on Monday released from detention on bail while his trial for tax evasion and breaking anti-doping rules is to continue in January.
Sturm, 40, was set free after paying a sum of 300,000 euros (332,000 dollars) set by the Cologne court, and handing over his German and Bosnian passports to the court.
“We have just handed Felix Sturm over to his wife and are very happy that the family can now celebrate a peaceful Christmas,” Sturm’s lawyer, Nils Kroeber, said.
The 40-year-old Sturm, a former middleweight and super-middleweight world champion, was in custody since April 5 having been accused of evading more than 6 million dollars in taxes from 2009-2017.
Prosecutors alleged Sturm received regular payments from a Swiss marketing agency between 2009 and 2017 which he then concealed from the tax office.
The trial started on November 4 and Sturm said had not received money from the agency since 2015.
The court determined last week that Sturm could be relased on bail because it said he only evaded tax between 800,000 and 2.2 million euros.
Cologne judges will also determine if Sturm fought Russian Fedor Chudinov while doped in February 2016. His A-sample tested positive for the steroid Stanozolol but he maintains his innocence.
Be the first to comment on "Former boxing world champ Sturm released on bail"