BAGHDAD/WASHINGTON: (HRNW) Iran has claimed that at least 80 people were killed in ballistic missiles targeting US military bases in Iraq, said state run TV on Wednesday.
Iran launched ballistic missile attack on US forces in Iraq in the early hours of Wednesday in retaliation for the US drone strike on an Iranian commander whose killing has raised fears of a wider war in the Middle East.
Tehran fired more than a dozen ballistic missiles from Iranian territory against at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US-led coalition personnel at about 1.30 a.m. local time, the US military said on Tuesday.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps confirmed they fired the missiles to retaliate for last week’s killing of Qassem Soleimani, according to a statement on state TV.
The statement advised the United States to withdraw its troops from the region to prevent more deaths, state TV said.
The Pentagon did not provide reports of casualties in the attack.
Be the first to comment on "Iran claims at least 80 people killed in attacks on US bases"