Hanover, Germany (dpa) – The organizers of the Hannover Messe, one of the world’s largest industry fairs, say the event will be postponed due to the spread of the new coronavirus.
The event is now set to take place on July 13-17 in the German city of Hanover, not April 20-24 as originally planned, Deutsche Messe AG announced on Wednesday.
The company said it was “unable to implement the proposed measures” recommended by the Robert Koch Institute in order to prevent the spread of the outbreak at major events.
“In view of the global economic challenges triggered by the coronavirus in the first half of the year, the new date offers great opportunities,” Jochen Koeckler, chairman of Deutsche Messe’s management board, said in a statement.
Around 6,000 exhibitors had been registered for the event.