KABUL (HRNW) – Taliban forces have arrested a suspected Islamic State militant who planned a bomb attack that killed at least 12 worshippers at a Shiite mosque in Afghanistan, police said on Friday.
IS claimed the bomb blast that tore through the Seh Dokan mosque during midday prayers in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif on Thursday.
The attack also wounded 58 people.
Balkh province s police spokesman Asif Waziri said Abdul Hamid Sangaryar was a key operative of IS.
“He was the mastermind of yesterday s attack on the mosque,” Waziri told . The interior ministry also reported the arrest of Sangaryar, an Afghan national.
“He played a key role in several attacks in the past and had repeatedly managed to escape, but this time we arrested him in a special operation,” Waziri said.
IS also claimed a separate bomb attack in another northern city of Kunduz on Thursday that killed four people and wounded 18 people.
The group has taken responsibility for deadly attacks in Afghanistan, often against Shiite targets, even as the number of bombings have fallen since the Taliban seized power in August last year.
Be the first to comment on "Taliban arrest IS ‘mastermind’ of Afghan mosque attack: police"