Four dead, 12 injured as twin blasts rip through Hangu mosque

Peshawar (HRNW) At least four worshippers were killed and 12 sustained injuries in an explosion inside a mosque in the Doaba police station in Khyber Pakthunkhwa’s Hangu on Friday, according to police.

Hangu District Police Officer (DPO) Nisar Ahmed confirmed the casualties. Six seriously injured people have been rushed to the Combined Military Hospital (CMH).

Hangu Deputy Commissioner Fazal Akbar said there were two blasts carried out by suicide attackers in the mosque on Doaba police station premises.

An explosion took place at the gate of the police station, while the second inside the mosque, he added.

Talking to media, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa IG Akhtar Hayat Gandapur said it was a suicide attack.

He said two suicide attackers reached the mosque in a car. On suspicion, police guards ordered them to stop, he added.

IG Gandapur said the attackers opened fire and in an exchange, one of them was killed while two police constables suffered injuries.

Most of the worshippers came out of the mosque when they heard the sound of gunfire. In the meantime, the second attacker entered the mosque and detonated explosives, he continued.

Due to the timely police action, many lives were saved, the IG stated.

Earlier, Doaba Station House Office (SHO) Shabraz Khan said there were around 30 worshippers in the mosque when the blast happened during the prayer leader’s (imam) sermon.

Due to high intensity of blast, the roof of the mosque caved in and the worshippers trapped under the debris, the SHO added.

Emergency services have rushed to the site and rescue operation is underway.

According to Rescue 1122 spokesman, four ambulances have been rushed to the site from Hangu and two have been called from Kohat.

Heavy machinery had also been called to clear the rubble and retrieve the bodies and the injured.

Meanwhile, the KP government has imposed an emergency in hospitals across Hangu and Kohat.

In a statement, KP caretaker Chief Minister Azam Khan summoned a report on the incident from the police and instructed authorities to expedite the rescue operation.

He directed the commissioner and deputy commissioner concerned to supervise the rescue operation and assured provision of the best medical treatment to the wounded.